Sunday, September 16, 2007

We're still here!

It's been a while, I know since I've posted, but we praise the Lord that all those walking on two legs all doing fine and in good health - those on four legs are a different story, but we're still praising the Lord!

Mr. Wiggles (orange cat) has now been gone for about two months. We think he has tried to make his way back to his beloved pond on Papa's farm. He has about 30 miles to cover whilst dodging a whole array of other animals, roads and fences. I hope he makes it, and if he does, he will have earned the right to stay there. My M-in-law gave encouragement that our cousin's dog got lost in this town and it took her 3 monthts to get back to Alma. I think it might take Mr. Wiggles a little longer. I do miss him though.

Pudda is healing from wounds on her haunches caused by a trespassing stray cat. They are pretty serious wounds a little larger than a quarter coin. I have been doctoring her with Benodine and Neosporin. She is walking good still and keeping them clean. Needless to say, that offending cat now has a death warrant on his head.

Mr. Pepper decided to take advantage of the chain that had slipped from around the gate last Wednesday morning, and he pushed his way through the gap. Fortunately, Pi was too big to get through. We noticed Pepper running up and down the fence line teasing Pi as we sat down to breakfast. Shaun ran out to try and catch him, but Pepper charged off down the road at a full gallop. We grabbed halters and rope and bundled into the car, but by that time had lost sight of him. A man on his back porch pointed out the way he went which we followed but there was still no sign of him. We crossed over a road and saw a man walking towards us so we stopped and asked if he had seen a little black and white pony. He said "Yes, he charged by me about a minute ago!" and pointed the way.
After driving a mile from the house we saw Pepper in a field behind a fence which held in a burro. Mr. Pepper had gone visiting!!!!! He could have gone down any number of side roads or into the woods, but he had made a bee-line for this burro's pasture. I followed his tracks in the dirt to figure out how he got behind the fence and shook the bucket of feed in my hand to which he came without delay. While I was putting on Pepper's halter I got too close to the fence which was 'live' and the shock went through both myself and Pepper who took off again at a run, but I managed to stop him :) Shaun walked Pepper home and we are so thankful that he was ok and had not caused any vehicle accidents or got hurt/killed. Pi was very glad to see him and I'm sure from his body language, was giving him an ear-full!

H is growing up very fast. She has now gone swimming twice in a friend's outdoor pool and mostly enjoys it. She's still learning that she shouldn't suck the water in! But she relaxes well and is not afraid of the water.

H is also learning to use a spoon for eating.


Her hair is growing long enough now for adorable pig-tails!


She likes to color in her coloring book: (We need to get her a proper kiddies table and chair!)


And she loves to feed her babydoll.


Spending time with Mama and Dadda is fun too...




The weather is starting to cool here. We have had some really good storms lately which has helped my pumpkin patch nicely. The pecan tree outside my study room window is loaded with pecans that will provide a wonderful harvest and hubby's favourite pecan pie!! After I'm done here, I will be going out to the fence in the back yard and pick the last of the bullace grapes. I made grape jam last week and it turned out well. Maybe there will be enough grapes left to make another batch.

Well, I think I'll close for now and try not to leave posting for so long next time. I hope you are all doing well and having a wonderful weekend.

3 comments:

Joy said...

It's hard to comment on such a long post. :) j/k I'm sorry about your rough animal experiences. I hope all will be back to normal soon. Hannah is so cute. I LOVE the pig-tails! Btw, you gave me a pecan pie recipe in that book you made for my wedding. Jamin loves it! He says it is the best pecan pie he has ever eaten!

wilkersonhome said...

"Feeding the baby doll" picture is so sweet! The plastic bins have been a multi-purpose staple at our house through the years, too! :) I enjoyed reading your animal adventures. As for our recent animal adventures... We passed a cow out of the fence on our way to church Sunday morning. A cowboy who got saved Wednesday night brought a colt to church last night for the kids to see. At bedtime, we heard what we believed to be coyotes. :) It's good to hear from you again--certainly understand "busy!"

Anonymous said...

So glad you're still here! :o) Love all the pictures...what beautiful eyes she has! I enjoyed catching up with you.

ap